A word or two
about food in Catalonia…
- Food is one of the great joys of living in Catalonia, where a long lunch & wine with fresh, local ingredients is an essential part of life
- There are food festivals every month. Most popular are calçotadas or special onion BBQs, sea urchins by the sea, olive harvests & hunting wild asparagus & mushrooms
- The most famous restaurant in Girona is Celler de Can Roca, regularly voted The best in the world. Allow at least one year to book!
- With hundreds of great restaurants to choose from, your hosts try as many as they can in the name of research for you!
- We can recommend places to suit every pocket and every taste in country villages or by the sea.
Getting Hands on with Can Torras Classes
We have over 40 years of growing organically
in gardens around the world & enjoy passing on our passion of growing, preparing & eating great food
Choose a 4 hour class with an accompanying meal, either lunch or dinner
A Taste of Catalan Cookery
First take a trip around a local market & choose vegetables & herbs from the Can Torras garden. Next, get hands on & learn to cook your own Catalan specialities, such as unusual paellas, meat & vegetarian dishes or delicious tapes. Time for a drink and enjoy the meal!
First steps in Organic Gardening in the Mediterranean
Learn the secrets of gardening for the environment & great tasting food.
Get hands on by planting, picking & composting in the Can Torras garden
Help to prepare a delicious organic meal
Meet fellow “Foodies” at an event in & around Girona
During your stay in Catalonia,
join our Girona Grub Club on the Meetup website
- Over 100 members from around the world
- Events are mainly in English
- We have made paella, visited Galician & Moroccan restaurants, enjoyed tastings at the Emporda wine fair & held themed “Secret Supper Club” lunches
A word or two about Food at Can Torras
- reflects the changing seasons, the produce growing in our organic garden, including our ducks & chickens, & huge choice at local markets
- breakfasts includes a choice of cereals, juice, fruits, yogurt, breads & homemade jams, with a hot dish changing every day
- usually Catalan in style but always inspired by the many places we have visited – Turkey, Morocco, Italy, Costa Rica
- evening meals normally include meat but we love to cook vegetarian & vegan dishes. All special diets catered for
- Karen is a university trained nutritionist, a chef, and also suffers from some very annoying dietary restrictions herself! She knows exactly how it feels to feel nervous of what is put in front of you at a restaurant. When you dine at Can Torras, you can be sure that everyone in your party will enjoy the meal.